Joshua Bauer represents businesses and individuals in a variety of commercial litigation matters. He works with clients to craft creative solutions to their business problems and has broad experience advising companies in a variety of industries, including oil and gas, energy, real estate, insurance, healthcare, and financial institutions. Mr. Bauer’s experience includes claims for breach of contract, negligence, trademark infringement, conversion, theft of trade secrets, franchise disputes, regulatory compliance, and breach of fiduciary duty.
Before entering private practice, Mr. Bauer worked in the busiest federal trial court in the United States, proudly serving as a law clerk to U.S. District Judge Alia Moses in Del Rio, Texas.
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2014)
- American University (B.A., 2009)
Honors & Distinctions
- Named to Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters (2020)
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern, Northern, Western, and Eastern Districts of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Anti-Defamation League (Member of the 2017-18 Glass Leadership Institute)
- Trial counsel (2nd Chair) for an offshore marine and sub-sea construction support company in a $33 million dispute regarding alleged breaches of charterparty, equipment rental, and personnel services agreements entered into for a project in Nigeria.
- Trial counsel for an oil and natural gas exploration and production company against a multi-million dollar Jones Act negligence claim stemming from an alleged workplace accident on an offshore drilling platform.
- Trial counsel representing private investors in a $50 million dispute relating to the dissolution of a long-term acute care hospital investment project. The allegations include fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, gross negligence, and negligent misrepresentation.
- Successfully obtained injunctive relief on behalf of a directional drilling company against several former employees who had misappropriated trade secrets from and unfairly competed against their former employer, leading to a favorable settlement for the client.
- Advising a property and casualty insurer in an eight-figure insurance coverage dispute over the assignability of insurance policies under an asset purchase agreement.
- Successfully defended against a motion to dismiss under the Texas Citizens’ Participation Act and prevailed on the subsequent appeal on a matter of first impression, leading to a favorable settlement for the client.
- Represented an international engineering firm in a breach of contract dispute relating to engineering design services for a petrochemical plant in China. On the eve of trial, the defendants agreed to enter into a settlement agreement, under which the client obtained nearly all of its originally pleaded damages.
- Obtained a favorable resolution on behalf of a major oil and gas producer in a dispute over the terms of a joint operating agreement.
- Advised a major refiner in a multi-million dollar lien dispute between its contractor and subcontractor concerning cost overruns and delay damages.
- Lead counsel for a large manufacturing client in a breach of warranty claim, ultimately leading to a settlement for the client that was significantly lower than the plaintiff’s original demand.
- Recent Amendments to the Texas Citizens’ Participation Act (Relief at Last?) (April 2020)
- Assignability of Insurance Rights in Corporate Transactions, Client Presentation (November 2018)
- Appellate Practice [ Learn More ]
- Business Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Commercial Arbitration [ Learn More ]
- Environmental Litigation [ Learn More ]
- International Arbitration [ Learn More ]
- Labor and Employment Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Construction Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Offshore Energy Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Oil & Gas Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Securities Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Toxic Torts [ Learn More ]
- Trade Secrets [ Learn More ]
- Transportation Litigation [ Learn More ]