Maggie Parker NeuselAssociate
Maggie Parker Neusel is proud of the fact that her clients view her not only as their legal counsel, but a partner as well. They trust her to seek the most fair and reasonable outcome, whether that means taking the matter to trial or reaching a satisfactory out-of-court resolution. Ms. Neusel’s collaborative reputation is the result of years of working closely with clients in a wide variety of legal matters as both outside and inside counsel. Her broad depth of experience includes insurance disputes, business litigation and serious personal injury cases, as well as many healthcare legal issues.
Some of her past cases have involved:
Transactional work, including corporate and entity formation, general business matters, and multi-million dollar mergers, divestitures and acquisitions.
Organizing and structuring joint ventures, including hospitals, physicians’ groups, hospices, medical equipment and supply companies, and home health agencies.
Performing internal audits of healthcare providers resulting in self-disclosures to state and federal agencies.
Interpreting and analyzing compliance with state and federal anti-fraud and abuse statutes and applicable regulations, including Stark laws and anti-kickback statutes.
Prior to joining Hicks Thomas, Ms. Neusel was chief legal officer and general counsel to a multi-state healthcare system. While in-house, she focused on compliance and regulatory matters as well as healthcare operational and transactional issues. Ms. Neusel is highly experienced in defending employers against claims before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Texas Workforce Commission.
Ms. Neusel began her legal career as a litigation and transactional attorney with the Provost Umphrey Law Firm in Beaumont, Texas, serving as outside counsel to several financial institutions and local governmental entities. She earned a Bachelor of Science degree with Honors from Lamar University in 1995, and a Juris Doctor degree from The University of Texas School of Law in 1998.
- Business litigation and transactions
- Compliance counseling and defense
- Employment and wage disputes
- Fraud and abuse
- Healthcare litigation and transactions
- Healthcare operations
- Insurance litigation
- Licensure and accreditation
- Medical staff governance, credentialing and peer review
- Mergers, acquisitions and other strategic transactions
- The University of Texas School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1998
- The Review of Litigation, 1996 – 1998; Technical Editor, 1997 – 1998
- Internship with Justice J. Woodfin (“Woodie”) Jones, Texas Third District Court of Appeals, 1997 – 1998
- Student Editor, Mass Media Law: Cases and Materials (Foundation Press, 6th ed., 2000, David A. Anderson, et al.)
- Lamar University, Bachelor of Science with honors, 1995
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Texas, Health Law and Corporate Counsel Sections
- The Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas
- Austin Bar Association
- Hand to Hold, NICU family support organization
- Mobile Loaves and Fishes, homeless food and shelter organization
- Junior League
Speeches and Presentations:
"Public Adjuster, Adjuster & Attorney: The Limits of the Unauthorized Practice of Law, Splitting of Fees and Barratry in Texas – and What to Do About Them" Texas Law and Insurance Symposium (Austin, Texas) – March 2016.
"Expedited Trial Process: Where are We Going From Here?" Second Anniversary Insurance Law CLE and CE Program (Austin, Texas) – February 2015.
"Top 10 Lawyer Mistakes While Working with In-house Counsel" Second Anniversary Insurance Law CLE and CE Program (Austin, Texas) – February 2015.
"Data Breach Reporting and Remedial Measures" In-house presentation – May 2013.
"HIPPA 101" In-house presentation – December 2012.
"Stark Law: Antifraud and Abuse Update" Harbor Healthcare Symposium (Houston, Texas) – June 2012.
"Emerging Issues in Health Law" Harbor Healthcare Symposium (Houston, Texas) – June 2011.
- Appellate Practice [ Learn More ]
- Business Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Commercial Arbitration [ Learn More ]
- Environmental Litigation [ Learn More ]
- International Arbitration [ Learn More ]
- Labor and Employment Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Construction Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Offshore Energy Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Oil & Gas Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Securities Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Toxic Torts [ Learn More ]
- Trade Secrets [ Learn More ]
- Transportation Litigation [ Learn More ]