John J. DeisPartner
John Deis has 17 years of broad-based experience in commercial litigation in several different industries, including construction, oil and gas, and environmental. His persistence in the face of adversity results in a tailored strategy that can only be described as making order out of chaos in even the most complicated business litigation cases. Mr. Deis thrives in complex cases and his skill for distilling key issues in a case out of mountains of evidence is widely recognized and highly valued. He is a former Marine Corps officer who spent four years on active duty and seven more in the reserves.
Complex Construction Litigation
- Represented engineering and construction contractor in litigation over alleged construction cost overruns and design defects in a crude oil refinery project. Damage claims among the parties exceed $40 million.
- Advised engineering and construction contractor on impact of force majeure provisions in billion dollar construction project.
- Represented electrical contractor in arbitration concerning electrical installation of automated equipment in an automobile factory.
- Lead counsel for offshore construction and service provider in multimillion dollar arbitration concerning offshore automated pipe welding services and offshore pipeline construction.
Oil and Gas Litigation
- Counsel for major drilling contractor in numerous disputes concerning rig readiness and compliance with contract and regulatory standards. Litigated cases involving offshore rig mooring and wire rope failures, hurricane damage, jack-up rig emplacement and punch-throughs, rig audits and inspections and fitness of well control and drilling equipment.
- Counsel for major pipeline company in litigation over transportation and gas purchase agreements and processing and compression facilities.
- Defense counsel for a six-month jury trial involving a $160 million environmental contamination claim that led to a defense verdict. He took the lead role in managing engineering and environmental experts to defeat causation claims in the case.
- Managed discovery in numerous groundwater contamination cases across the country and has taken hundreds of percipient and expert witness depositions on technical and operational issues.
- Regularly consults with clients on litigation risks that are associated with environmental contamination investigations and transactions involving contaminated property.
- Represented various clients in shareholder disputes and securities fraud matters.
- Represented various clients in trade secret matters.
- JD, 2000, magna cum laude, University of Houston Law Center, Houston Law Review (Managing Editor), Order of the Coif, Order of the Barons, 2000 Blakely Butler Moot Court Champion
- BBA, 1993, Texas A&M University
Mr. Deis also developed legal experience working as the managing editor for the Houston Law Review. It was John's experience as an undergraduate and his enjoyment of business law classes that motivated him to pursue a career as an attorney. It was his mentor’s enthusiasm about the challenges of litigation and his expert guidance that helped John develop his keen litigation skills.
Captain, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve (1993-2001).
- State Bar of Texas
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Courts for the Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Appellate Practice [ Learn More ]
- Business Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Commercial Arbitration [ Learn More ]
- Environmental Litigation [ Learn More ]
- International Arbitration [ Learn More ]
- Labor and Employment Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Construction Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Offshore Energy Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Oil & Gas Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Securities Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Toxic Torts [ Learn More ]
- Trade Secrets [ Learn More ]
- Transportation Litigation [ Learn More ]