Kelsey Machado joined Hicks Thomas LLP in June of 2010 as a law clerk during her final year of law school at South Texas College of Law. Growing up in a family of lawyers, she knew it was likely that she would one day pursue a career in the legal field; however, her interest in science led her to complete the pre-med program offered at Wake Forest University and major in biology. Despite the fact that she was on the road to medical school, a summer internship working on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. for Texas Congressman Nick Lampson re-directed her path towards a career as a lawyer.
Prior to joining our firm, Machado worked as a law clerk at various commercial litigation and personal injury law firms in Houston such as Dobrowski LLP, Paul D. Clote Attorney at Law and Abraham Watkins. She also has served as a judicial intern for Judge Lynn N. Hughes at the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas. With her diverse experience, Machado is beginning her fourth year as a licensed attorney and has been working for Hicks Thomas LLP for four and a half years, first as a law clerk and now as an attorney.
Machado specializes in civil litigation with experience in energy, oil and gas, maritime, employment, consumer and general business litigation. She has had the opportunity to represent both plaintiffs and defendants on a broad range of legal issues within the commercial litigation field. Her perceptive analytical skills, attention to detail and efficient legal research and writing ability make her an essential asset to the Hicks Thomas LLP law firm team.
Machado was on the dean's list and part of Beta Beta Beta, a national biological honors society, at Wake Forest University. While attending South Texas College of Law, she was the assistant articles editor and assistant note and comment editor of the South Texas Law Review. She was also a member of Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity. Her educational background proudly includes:
- Wake Forest University (B.S. 2008)
- South Texas College of Law (J.D. 2011)
- Order of the Lytae
- Dean's Scholar
Three-Time CALI Excellence for the Future Award Winner (
Am Jur award received at South Texas College of Law) in the following courses:
- Legal Research and Writing I
- Legal Research and Writing II
- Water Law
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Women and the Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
Since being employed at Hicks Thomas LLP, Machado has worked on a variety of matters involving offshore drilling rigs and contract disputes. Her work in these cases include aiding in the discovery process and technical investigation, conducting legal research and drafting pleadings.
This case was a lawsuit against a former employee for breach of a confidentiality agreements and non-compete covenant. Machado assisted with the legal research and conducted an extensive document review.
Class Action Suit Against Ford Motor Company
This class action suit was against Ford Motor Company in the Eastern District of California for breach of warranty and other consumer protection laws. Machado assisted in the legal research pertaining to class action suits regarding warranty and consumer protection laws in California. She drafted pleadings and discovery, and managed communications with clients and expert witnesses. This is currently on appeal in the Ninth Circuit.
- Appellate Practice [ Learn More ]
- Business Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Commercial Arbitration [ Learn More ]
- Environmental Litigation [ Learn More ]
- International Arbitration [ Learn More ]
- Labor and Employment Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Construction Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Offshore Energy Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Oil & Gas Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Securities Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Toxic Torts [ Learn More ]
- Trade Secrets [ Learn More ]
- Transportation Litigation [ Learn More ]