Jody SheetsSenior Counsel
Oil and gas, products liability, eminent domain, personal injury, real estate and other general litigation in 17 states over a period of 42 years
- University of Texas at Austin (B.A., 1969)
- University of Texas School of Law (J.D., 1971)
Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization; Texas Super Lawyers – 2004, 2006-2012 – Texas Monthly Magazine; American Board of Trial Advocates – 1991-present
State Bar of Texas; Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow; Dallas Bar Foundation, Fellow; American Association for Justice
Brainard v. State of Texas
Represented a group of landowners in a decade-long dispute with the state over roughly 13,000 acres along the Canadian River in the Texas Panhandle. After a dam was built, the state increased the amount of land it claimed to own along the river banks. A lower court ruling for the landowners was overturned on appeal. But the Texas Supreme Court ruled for the landowners, reaffirming the way river boundaries are determined in Texas.
Liquid Energy Corp. v. Trans-Pan Gathering Inc.
Represented Trans-Pan Gathering Inc. in contractual disputes over Liquid Energy's refusal to accept the delivery of gas, which ended in large judgments in Trans-Pan's favor in three cases totaling about $42 million.Phillips Petroleum Co. v Gillman
Represented the sellers of gas in a case that challenged the circumstances under which Phillips Petroleum could hold escrow funds from the sale of that gas. The case established the gas producers' rights to the escrow money.
- Appellate Practice [ Learn More ]
- Business Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Commercial Arbitration [ Learn More ]
- Environmental Litigation [ Learn More ]
- International Arbitration [ Learn More ]
- Labor and Employment Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Construction Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Offshore Energy Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Oil & Gas Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Securities Litigation [ Learn More ]
- Toxic Torts [ Learn More ]
- Trade Secrets [ Learn More ]
- Transportation Litigation [ Learn More ]